Diet and Nutrition
The Nutrition Services Department strives to promote optimal nutritional status and overall well-being of our patients by educating and providing them, their caregivers, and our colleagues with timely, scientifically sound nutrition information.
What you can expect from the CDC Nutrition Department
- Caring, trustworthy and confidential nutrition staff members with expert knowledge of the renal diet. Most RD’s have worked at CDC greater than 5 years, ranging from 6 months to 30 years so you could be assured that the staff is well qualified to meet your needs. Some RD’s have their master’s degree, one is a certified diabetes educator, and another a vegan cookbook author so we collaborate for special needs.
- Assignment to a primary dietitian who will screen your labs every month and update your nutrition care plans.
- Monthly patient lab report card given and reviewed with you individually.
- Dietitians partner with your doctors regarding important health issues affected by your diet and nutrition status.
- Collaboration with other CDC team members including your doctor, nurses, social workers, and patient care technicians monthly if you have nutrition-related concerns.
- If you live in a nursing home or are hospitalized for an extended period of time, we will communicate your nutrition needs with the dietitians in those locations.
- Work with your doctor to get supplements when needed or possible through Medicaid (dependent upon individual medical coverage). Diet prescription individually designed for your needs, accompanied by an individual teaching plan and diet booklet. Your dietitian works with you to accommodate religious preferences, vegetarian or vegan diets, or other personal considerations. Medical conditions such as diabetes, allergies, diverticulosis, wound healing, etc. are considered in writing your diet prescription and meal plan.
- Supplemental diet information such as recipes, product samples, cookbook information, etc. is available.
- Guidelines on food shopping, especially with limited budget.